I answer questions about teaching crafts and self-publishing as I wrap up the virtual tour for my new book, Make Money Teaching Crochet.
About this episode
In this episode, I share the edited audio of a Facebook Live event I hosted earlier in the week where I answered questions from listeners about teaching crafts and self-publishing. Thanks to Rosalba Bassora, Novella Bobo from MadebyNovella, Patrice Walker from Yarn Over, Pull Through, Rachel McKinney from 100 Creations, and MG Camacho from Booktalk 'n More for sharing questions beforehand!
I reference a lot of different resources, which you can learn more about by following these links:
- Craft Yarn Council Certified Instructors Program: This certification program is a requirement if you want to teach crochet or knitting at a "big box" store. In the book, I talk about other reasons you may want to consider getting certification, or why it may not be necessary for your specific teaching business.
- Scrivener: This is the software I used to convert my book to .mobi files for Kindle and .epub files for Kobo. I also used it to organize writing the book because there is a great "corkboard" feature where you can organize what looks like little index cards for notes on your book. Scrivener has a 30 day free trial, but the days aren't consecutive. You only "use up" your free trial on days when you open the software.
- Kindle Direct Publishing: I used KDP to self-publish my Kindle book and CreateSpace (also owned by Amazon) to self-publish my print-on-demand book. I used the formatted template for the size of my book (all trim sizes are available for free here) to lay out the print version in Microsoft Word.
- Kobo Writing Life: I used this to self-publish the .epub version of the book.
- Canva: I used Canva to create the cover for the ebook using the pre-sized template, my own selections of fonts, and a photo.
- Fiverr: Bdboss is the Fiverr seller who transformed my ebook cover into a cover for the print book to meet CreateSpace requirements.
- Gumroad: This is where I sell the direct downloads of my ebook. It also has a great affiliate program that is super easy to set up.
- Power Purls Podcast: You can hear my interview with Kara Gott Warner from the Power Purls Podcast here and find her interview with me on her show here.
- AdriPrints Fonts: Adriana Hernandez sells affordable crochet and knitting stitch symbol fonts. You can find out more in my interview with her on podcast here.
Buy the book!
You can get Make Money Teaching Crochet in the following places:
More details about the book are available here.
- The Creative Yarn Entrepreneur is now on Facebook. Please stop by and like the page here. In addition to podcast episodes, I share links with information that is helpful for small business owners. From time to time, I'll be sharing Facebook Live videos where I answer listener questions.
- Throughout July, 2016, I'm hosting a 31 Day Business Bootcamp in the Creative Yarn Entrepreneurs Facebook group. I'm sharing a daily question you can use to think strategically about your business during what is generally a slower time of year for most of us.
- I'll be speaking at BlogHer'16 (August 4-6, 2016 in Los Angeles, CA). If you're in the area, I'd love to meet up! You can register for BlogHer'16 with a 30% discount using this friends and family code.
- Show your support for the Show by buying through our trusted partners. You can find more information on the Support the Show page.
Share your feedback on this episode!
Share your comments in the show notes for this episode at http://creativeyarnentrepreneur.com/mmtc2. You can also comment in the Creative Yarn Entrepreneurs Facebook group, comment on the Creative Yarn Entrepreneur Facebook page, Tweet me at @cyeshow, add me to your G+ circle and send me a note, or leave a message at 646-713-8973.
You can subscribe to the Creative Yarn Entrepreneur Show on on Google Play Music, iTunes, Stitcher, or TuneIn. Please leave an honest review on iTunes or Stitcher and join the mailing list. I’ll let people on the list know in advance about special guests and topics so you can share your questions.